Attention! The Violence Against Women Act Has been successfully renewed thanks to the Senate (stupid House of Reps). I heard it on the evening news also but they always get the story wrong or skew information to a sensational direction. I couldn’t be happier for everyone involved! As Sheila said, we still have a long way to go and the fight is never over!
From: Sheila M. Thomas
5:55 PM (11 minutes ago)
Monday, February 25, was my birthday; I turned 53. Today, I received the best birthday present ever–the news that the Senate version of the Violence Against Women Act passed the House, after the House failed to pass its own version of the Act . This means that all women-including LGBT, undocumented, and Native American victims-will receive the protections offered by this bill.
I hope each of you know that this victory would have never been possible without the support each of you showed by calling your respective U.S. Representatives.
But we are not finished.
Members of both the senate and house will be asking for your vote; and, as voters, we have a responsibility to send to Washington a Congress that can legislate for ALL people, not just the few. Therefore, I urge you to check the voting records of your Congress members here:
Then, if possible, get to know a little more about the people who are asking you for your precious vote.
I want each of you to know what a pleasure it was working with each of you–together–to get this important piece of legislation passed and I hope we will continue to stay in touch with one another.
Many blessings and goodness to each,
1. “House Sends Violence Against Women Act to President’s Act,” ABC News, February 28, 2013
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. — Martin Luther King Jr.
- You Didn’t Give Up on the Violence Against Women Act! (aauw.org)
- House Finally Passes Violence Against Women Act (slog.thestranger.com)
- Congress passes bill renewing Violence Against Women Act (kansascity.com)
- Congress sends Violence Against Women Act to Obama (usatoday.com)
- Violence Against Women Act passes after months of delay (cbsnews.com)
- Women betrayed: Nine female House Republicans vote against the Violence Against Women Act (eclectablog.com)
- House finally votes on Violence Against Women Act to protect ALL women (dailykos.com)