Did you hear? Time is running out for the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). If Congress fails to act this year–which could happen if we don’t speak out–shelters, hotlines and other critical services could run out of money in the next few months.
Earlier this year, a bipartisan majority of Senators passed a VAWA reauthorization bill that would have expanded protections to some of the most vulnerable communities. Conservatives in the House not only blocked it–they took the unprecedented step of rolling back protections that have been on the books for years.
Now conservatives in the House are facing increased pressure to do the right thing and vote on the Senate version. But they are only going to act if they feel pressure from thousands of us.
Domestic violence kills 3 women each and every day. I just signed a petition telling Congress to pass the expanded Violence Against Women Act right away. Can you join me?
- Still time for House to do the right thing and pass Senate VAWA bill (thehill.com)
- The Violence Against Women Act’s uncertain fate (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- Colorado man fights for VAWA (ireport.cnn.com)
- Help Get VAWA passed #vawa #dvam (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Vawa National Day of Action – November 13th, 2012 (nichellemitchem.typepad.com)
- Soraya Chemaly: 50 Facts About Domestic Violence (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fiscal cliff fight could mean demise of Utah agency (ksl.com)
- Call to action for Wednesday, November 14th – re VAWA Reauthorization (unitednationsdelegate.com)
- Take Action Wednesday – VAWA (peacemattershere.wordpress.com)
- VAWA passes in the Senate 68 – 31 but the War&Control is real and We ALL need to Stand up and Speak Out (point4counterpoint.wordpress.com)